There is no one secret to a powerful presentation, but if there were, it would be this – your subject must be interesting to your audience. If your audience doesn’t know whether they’re interested in your subject, how do you get them to connect with it?
In truth, everyone is more interested in themselves than they are in you.
- You’re sharing great information
- You’re helping clients improve their situation
- You’re giving your audience advice they can use
You will develop a relationship.
Keep in mind that your audience members are most interested in their own concerns, not yours. This is why you must always speak as an audience advocate.
If you have an established area of expertise, you’re often asked to deliver the same type of presentation with all the same content to different audiences. How do you keep it interesting?
My brother, the legendary guitarist, Robert Fripp advises, “You are giving a performance, and you might have played the same music for 40 years, gotten in and out of vans hundreds of times, and repeatedly stayed in modest accommodations…” (Fortunately, non-musicians usually stay in nicer hotels and don’t have to get in and out of vans.) Nevertheless, Robert says, “Every time you put your foot on the stage, it is a new experience. This music has never been played before to this audience in this venue at this time. It is the first time, and there is the assumption of innocence within a context of experience.” It should be exactly the same for a speaker.
If you need to get results from your presentations the very best, most convenient way is with FrippVT web-based training. Check it out.
Become a great presenter quickly, easily, and cost-effectively on your own schedule. I’m here for you 24/7 through Fripp Virtual Training.
“I wanted a super bowl-quality coach, and I was lucky to be introduced to Patricia Fripp. Her help in coaching and scripting was world class. With Patricia Fripp on your team, you can go places.”
– Don Yaeger, Long-Time Associate Editor for Sports Illustrated magazine, Award-Winning Keynote Speaker, New York Times Best-Selling Author
Join FrippVT today!
One Secret to Connect with Your Audience & More
Just a few of the many complimentary resources on Fripp.com to help you connect with your audience and keep them engaged:
- Three Ways to Emotionally Connect with Your Audience
- Want to Connect with Every Audience, Every Time? You Need To
- How to Ensure That Your Audience Is Interested
- How You Can Solve “Who Cares?” Syndrome in Your Sales Presentations
- Why Is Eye Contact Important? How Long? When?
- How to Use You-Focused Language to Connect with Clients & Prospects
- Do You Know How to Keep Your Audience Interested?
- Speak to Create Understanding – Consider Your Audience’s Unspoken Questions
- Connect with Your Audience – Why & How to Customize
- Do You Alienate Your Audience? Make A “You” Turn
Executive Speech Coach and Hall of Fame Keynote Speaker Patricia Fripp works with individuals and companies who realize that powerful, persuasive presentation skills give them a competitive edge.